At the end of April 2019, The Trussell Trust – the umbrella organisation for over 420 UK foodbanks – reported figures for the year to 31st March 2019:
- A 19% increase in emergency food parcels given out to 1.6 million
- the main reasons for people needing emergency food are:
- 33% income not covering essential costs
- 20% benefit delays
- 17% benefit changes
At East Grinstead Foodbank, over the same period, we helped 1,622 adults and children.
- this was an 80% increase over 2015
- Single adults visiting the foodbank – a 13% increase
- Children – as part of families – saw a welcome fall of 17%
- However, we saw an 11% increase in vouchers fulfilled.
We are only able to do this, thanks to continued local generosity in food and financial donations and a great team of volunteers!
In gratitude, the foodbank steering team